Most people interested in a career in public accounting have heard about the Big 4 firms, the National firms, and the Super Regional firms. In the public accounting industry and in most other industries, the notoriety of a company is more often than not a function of its size. Therefore, the largest accounting firms tend to command a great deal of attention not only within the accounting profession but also within the world of academia. However, the world of public accounting goes beyond the largest accounting firms. There are many boutique style accounting firms that get little to no publicity but that provide their services to clients with very particular characteristics. To be more specific, I am referring to the group of accounting firms that almost exclusively assist non U.S. middle-market companies with their foreign direct investments in the USA.
In most cases, the boutique accounting firms in question focus on companies headquartered in one specific country. The lead partners at those boutique accounting firms are typically Europeans and are familiar with U.S. GAAP, the U.S. Tax Code, IFRS, and the targeted country’s GAAP and Tax Code. If you are fluent in French, German, or Italian, you will be a great fit for those accounting firms since most them provide services to companies domiciled in France, Germany, or Italy. The services provided by those accounting firms range from full cycle cross border transactions advisory to financial audit. The following is a list of eight of those boutique accounting firms.
- Barclais USA focuses primarily on French companies that either have operations in the U.S. or plan to enter the U.S. market. Barclais USA has offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, and New York.
- Constantin Serval & Associes also mainly targets French companies that either have U.S. based subsidiaries or intend to expand in the U.S. market. However, Constantin Serval & Associes has been building international alliances in order to diversify their clientele. Here in the U.S., Constantin Serval & Associes has offices in New York and San Francisco.
- Funaro & Co. PC mostly works with Italian companies that either have operations in the U.S. or plan to enter the U.S. market. Funaro & Co PC has offices in New York.
- G+K Grewe Kischkat LLP – Wirtschaftsprüfer and Certified Public Accountants (CPA) offers comprehensive accounting, tax support and tax return services for Germans living and/or investing in the United States and for American expatriates living in Germany. G+K Grewe Kischkat LLP offices are located in New York.
- Guiseppe Brusa CPA LLC caters to Italian companies that either have operations in the U.S. or plan to enter the U.S. market. Guissepe Brusa CPA LLC has offices in New York.
- Rödl & Partner has an annual turnover of about €218M and has offices in 37 countries throughout the world (2010 figures). Rödl & Partner is a leading German independent legal advisory and audit company with global operations. However in the U.S., it operates more like a boutique firm. Indeed, Rödl & Partner-USA helps German companies with their foreign direct investments in the USA. In the U.S., Rödl & Partner has office locations in Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, Chicago, and Greenville (SC).
- Spott, Lucey, and Wall Inc provides services to the U.S. based subsidiaries of foreign companies headquartered in China, France, Germany, and in Spanish speaking countries. Spott, Lucey and Wall Inc. offices are located in San Francisco.
- Rowbotham & Company LLP is a certified public accounting firm with accountants, attorneys, and consultants that are focused on providing high-end services to companies with international and multi-state operations. This accounting firm targets foreign companies domiciled in China, France, Germany, Russia, and Spanish speaking countries.
If you are aware of any other accounting firm with the same target market as the ones listed above, please feel free to send their names my way by submitting a comment right below or by sending me a message via the “Contact” page.